Re: [opensuse-translation] Other translations
  • From: "Sarah Julia Kriesch" <ada.lovelace@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2017 09:01:55 +0200

Gesendet: Mittwoch, 27. September 2017 um 09:48 Uhr
Von: "Vojtěch Zeisek" <vojtech.zeisek@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
An: opensuse-translation@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Betreff: Re: [opensuse-translation] Other translations

Hi

Everybody can contribute to the wiki. We don't have any special

So how is the consistency kept then? I don't wont to drive the discussion to
the Wiki solely, but this is obvious question to emerge...

Wiki maintainers can subscribe special pages in the English wiki they want to
translate to their own language.
So they receive update notifications that they have to update their own page.

Look at https://languages.opensuse.org/Help:Translation#Portals The list
seems
to be outdated. Obviously it is. Yes, I can edit it, but I don't know how
this
process (creation and maintenance of multilingual oS Wiki) is organized and
the page then seems to be abandoned. I.e. if I'd edit it, it might be useless
as nobody could care, as seen by non-existing maintenance of the Wiki page...

That isn't outdated, because you can see only examples there. We have so many
Portals that you can't list all there.
If you want to have changes there, that would be a topic for the Wiki mailing
list. Let's discuss it there not here.

Yes. As one-time task it can work. But as far as I know, there are no traces
of changes regarding state of translations. If something is changed in the
English original, how to easily see which corresponding translated section
needs to be updated in other languages?

Every wiki page has a change log. You can watch it with clicking above on
History.
Additional to that you can receive change mails, if you subscribe the wiki page
after adding anything to the English wiki.
You'll receive more support on the wiki mailinglist...

Are there any plans/possibilities to translate https://doc.opensuse.org/ ?

doc.opensuse.org is part of the SUSE documentation team. You can create Pull
Requests with contributions on github (https://github.com/SUSE/doc-sle).
You would need additional tools for translations. We had a long discussion

This is no-way. It is written in DocBook, isn't it? Me, personally, after
HTML
and TEX I'm not going for this new syntax, which is otherwise useless for me.
And unless there are PO files and some tools to help keeping track how much
is
translated and so on (compare with Weblate), it is not user-friendly for
translators. They wish to comfortably translate and use software they are
familiar with (and use also for other tasks), not to "fight" with special
technical tools.

about our different tools at openSUSE:
https://lists.opensuse.org/opensuse-wiki/2017-01/msg00005.html If you want

I'm not sure I fully got sense of that, but I'd highlight this particular
message https://lists.opensuse.org/opensuse-wiki/2016-12/msg00034.html

to contribute to documentation (translation), you should contribute to the
wiki. That's easy to use and should be updated continously. My
recommendation: Subscribe the wiki mailinglist!

Wiki is documentation? Well, what is https://doc.opensuse.org/ then? ;-) This
always bit confused me and You did not make it clear. :-) I like doc.o.o as
it
is really valuable source of information, but with current methods I don't
see
possibility of it to being translated.
Well, we don't have any volunteer to start to translate tomorrow, but if
there
is no tool to comfortably handle translations, there will be no one...

So it is...
doc.opensuse.org is the job of the SUSE documetation team at the moment. The
community doesn't contribute there.
Christian and I try to improve this problem. We have introduced the github
extension for the wiki. So we can receive upstream documentation
from github in our wiki on an easy way.
If you have new ideas, you can contribute that on the wiki mailinglist.
We are on the wrong mailinglist here.

Just in case there would be some volunteer. ;-) How it is done, when new
version is released?

There is a message on the wiki mailinglist that a new Leap portal exist and the
wiki translation can begin.
I write a "Call for Translations" to this mailinglist and the new Leap
translation starts on Weblate.
That should be some time before "new version is released"...

What about other tools and web applications? Do they have
support/possibility of being translated? If so, how? Are there any other
projects to be translated (not hosted on Weblate)?
We are using Desktops like KDE, GNOME, Cinnamon, LXDE,...
We are using translations from their projects. So you contribute to openSUSE,
if you translate on https://l10n.kde.org/ as an example, too.
I receive a list with not finished translated (but needed) translations in the
release management team every year. That will be forwarded to this mailinglist,
too.
I don't have to do it, if we have a complete translated KDE. :-)

Good. I'd strongly prefer any other new project to be translated to be
available in Weblate. It's easy to use tool.

You are right. If you have ideas for improvement something with tools for
documentation, forward it on the wiki list, please.

Best regards,
Sarah

V.

--