Re: [opensuse-translation] Other translations
  • From: "Sarah Julia Kriesch" <ada.lovelace@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2017 17:32:57 +0200

Hi,

Gesendet: Dienstag, 26. September 2017 um 12:58 Uhr
Von: "Vojtěch Zeisek" <vojtech.zeisek@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Betreff: [opensuse-translation] Other translations

Hi,
we are preparing - together with Mozilla and LibreOffice - small workshop for
translators for upcoming Czech Linux Days https://www.linuxdays.cz/2017/en/
I'm going to show our Weblate https://l10n.opensuse.org/languages/cs/ Of
course. It's good tool.
That's a great idea! Thaks you do it. :-)
Instructions https://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Localization_guide seem to me
bit brief, but together with https://docs.weblate.org/en/weblate-2.13.1/ it
should be enough. I hope... :-/
Other point is documentation. Wiki (Well, I don't like WikiMedia as CMS, so I
don't work in this area...) https://languages.opensuse.org/Help:Translation
has also bit brief and outdated (e.g. no word about Leap!) information. Who
is
responsible for that and should keep it updated? At least the general
information. It doesn't look very encouraging for the newcomers (last edited
5
years ago)...
Everybody can contribute to the wiki. We don't have any special
responsibilities.
We have some pages where you need admin permissions for editing. If you have
problems, you can ask your questions on the wiki mailinglist.
Why do we need the word Leap in the Translation help? That's one portal and it
will be updated/ created during every release by the release management team
(call on the mailinglist).
In addition, Leap pages of the English wiki are updated in general by the
release management team.

Anyway, our https://cs.opensuse.org/ is not in the best state (bit poor). Our
problem. More generally, are there guidelines, what (at least) should be
translated? Hot to keep multilingual pages of various languages similar? I
mean same design, structure, etc. Might be I'm asking obvious question, I'm
not really familiar with MediaWiki...

I believe the German wiki has the most content after the English wiki.
Most important portals like main page (by any admin) and Leap/ Tumbleweed
portals should be translated first. Look that you don't have any red links any
more.
After that you can take the next portal. We have a separate mailing list for
wiki maintainers. We support you there with the wiki update. :-)
Everybody can learn using MediaWiki and contribute there. You can copy content
and change the text to your language.

Are there any plans/possibilities to translate https://doc.opensuse.org/ ?
doc.opensuse.org is part of the SUSE documentation team. You can create Pull
Requests with contributions on github (https://github.com/SUSE/doc-sle). You
would need additional tools for translations.
We had a long discussion about our different tools at openSUSE:
https://lists.opensuse.org/opensuse-wiki/2017-01/msg00005.html
If you want to contribute to documentation (translation), you should contribute
to the wiki. That's easy to use and should be updated continously.
My recommendation: Subscribe the wiki mailinglist!

Just in case there would be some volunteer. ;-) How it is done, when new
version is released?
What about other tools and web applications? Do they have support/possibility
of being translated? If so, how? Are there any other projects to be
translated
(not hosted on Weblate)?
Right now, I'd like to get complete overview and sort things little bit...
Have a nice day,
V.

We have only the wiki beside of weblate. I write "Call for Translations" for
every release. That's the time stamp for wiki translations, too. ;-)
Some days before the release pages like repositories and main pages should be
updated. Our new search in the wiki is a really good help to test all.
--
Vojtěch Zeisek

Komunita openSUSE GNU/Linuxu
Community of the openSUSE GNU/Linux