Gesendet: Samstag, 22. Juli 2017 um 15:21 Uhr
Von: "Karl Ove Hufthammer" <karl@xxxxxxxxxx>
An: opensuse-translation@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Betreff: [opensuse-translation] Sorting of package names in Weblate

Currently, the strings in ‘packages-in’ are sorted *alphabetically* in
Weblate. This makes it unncessarily hard to translate them (and to
ensure consistency and high quality translations), as we lose all
context, since, e.g. the name/summary of a package is in a completely
different place in the translation file than its description. And
related strings (e.g. of the package, foo, foo-devel, foo-lib, foo-bar,
foo-baz) are scattered all over the file.

Could this be fixed? It looks like in the translation templates, a
natural ordering is used (i.e., the strings are sorted by package name,
*not* by the content of the strings):

https://github.com/openSUSE/packages-i18n/blob/master/50-pot/b.pot

This is the best way to sort the strings, as the ‘summary’ string of a
package is always followed by the corresponding ‘description’ string,
and related strings (e.g. of baloo5, baloo5-file, baloo5-import,
baloo5-kioslaves etc.) are grouped to together.

But in the *PO* files generated from the POT files (and the translation
strings) shown in Weblate, this perfect ordering of strings have been
destroyed, and the strings are sorted alphabetically:

https://github.com/openSUSE/packages-i18n/blob/master/fr/po/b.fr.po

From what I can see, this is caused by giving the ‘-s’ argument to
msgmerge here in the file, which sorts the strings alphabetically, so
they no longer match the POT file:

https://github.com/openSUSE/packages-i18n/blob/master/50-tools/mergepo.sh

If this is true, fixing this problem should just involve removing the
‘-s’ argument.

Could this be fixed? It would make the translators’ work much easier.

--
Regards,
Karl Ove Hufthammer

Best Regards / S pozdravem,