Re: [opensuse-translation] How to translate patterns in YaST software manager?
  • From: jcsl <trcs@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 28 Oct 2015 19:47:54 +0100
Hi.

On 2015-10-28 19:03, Luiz Fernando Ranghetti wrote:

update-desktop-files-* referes to, as the name says, the .desktop
files presents in programs (its name and the description), many of
them translated upstream (like the u-d-f-kde for example)

The package info are the info show for a package in YaST software
or zypper info, usually not translated (as its very huge).

So, I got confused between two different group of files. Sigh :-(

I was correct though, in remembering that some teams, like mine,
decided not to even try to translate "packages", unless bored ;-)

Would be nice to see if we can use the translations that debian
does in the link you pointed so we (translators) don't to the job
twice

Indeed.

Or do it somewhere upstream and share between all distributions. It is
a huge translation job for amateurs and volunteers. I can do about a
hundred strings per day, two at most: after that, I get very tired. It
would take me 600 days!

I think that most of the packages descriptions are very seldom modified (if
ever). If they aren't wiped on every new openSUSE version, it could be done.
Yes, it would take some time to get it finished but it's indeed quite feasible.
Of course, it would be much better if we could use the already done
translations or find somewhere to share it with the community as pointed by
Carlos E. R.

Greetings.