On 2015-10-17 10:24, Richard Brown wrote:

This entire mindset of "We're translators, we're just going to do
our thing our way, and the entire project has to accept it" (with
the implicit threat of "or else we won't translate anything") is
not conductive for a collaborative volunteer community

With that mindset, sure, you are 'doing' your little part of the
big picture, and sure, you get to 'decide' how you do that..but if
you want to fence yourself off from the rest of the project, if you
want to ignore that the Project is now focused on rolling release
and hybrid release, both of which means translations have to be
handled differently, you cannot be surprised when 'they' (the rest
of the Project) go and 'do and decide' something else.

Don't you see?

Replace the word "translators" with "developers", and then you have
"reality".

My ideal world is one in which the people who currently consider
themselves 'Translators' are no longer saying 'we can't do that
because...' and instead learning the skills, which in this case
includes both communication and technical skills,

No way.

You can't have that.

Hint: how many developers write good documentation?

Another hint: how many developers participate in forums with plain users?

I'd also say my ideal world would include the people you consider
to be 'Devs' to try and make steps from the other direction, and
try to learn the skills, provide tooling,

As a matter of fact, we did. We contributed tools.

But to be totally blunt, I'd actually look totally past that, if
the _output_ of the translation team was effective. If we had
half-decent translations of our two distributions, Tumbleweed or
Leap,

But that is not our fault. It is "yours".

Hint: I used some "" with some purpose...

- --
Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 13.1 x86_64 "Bottle" at Telcontar)