On 13 October 2015 at 13:34, Carlos E. R. <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Tumbleweed can be translated, indeed it should be

It can't, no matter what you do. There is no string freeze phase.
You insist because you know nothing about translating. It is not a
question of tools or procedures.

I trust the opinion and advice of those people on this thread and
elsewhere who believe that we have the tools, technique, and the
talent to do so.

It's especially easy to give such trust when the message isn't just
"this is possible" but "this is possible and we're going to do it"

If you wish to continue to disrespect the Weblate contributors by
discriminating against them because of their email address, if you
continue to act in this mindset of 'us' vs 'them', I strongly
encourage you to find another project that will tolerate your
world view, because it will not be accepted here.

No, their mail address, and yours, is just a symptom.

The only thing my email address ( rbrownccb@xxxxxxxxxxxx ) is a
symptom of is 10 years of contribution to this project in a whole
bunch of different capacities.

However, this might succeed with a "wiki" or collaborative type of
approach, which weblate supports, because there are possibly hundreds
of translators, translating simultaneously a few strings. At the
price
of consistency and diminished quality, of course.

Choose your pill ;-)

Let me see

Weblate
- Lower barrier to entry, workflow that encourages collaborative
working, leading to more people understanding and working on
Translation over time
- Translated Tumbleweed
- Better Translated Leap
- Lower co-ordination requirements
- Better alignment with Project's current products
- Better alignment with development workflow

Current
- High barrier of entry
- Single/limited translators are seen as a good thing in the name of
'quality' (any proof to back that up? On the development side of thing
we're building a pretty impressive codebase without preventing new
people contributing)
- Many points of failure
- High co-ordination requirements (more points of failure,
translators sitting idle waiting for 'orders')
- No Tumbleweed translation
- No/Poorly Translated Leap

Based on the information available on this thread alone, I know what
my choice would be.

That's why experienced translators baulk at translating factory. Not
because procedures or tools.

That's fine, at this point I'd rather encourage contributions from
enthusiastic amateurs who believe they can do something, and try to
make it happen, than experienced experts who believe that the
situation is impossible so do nothing.

Worst case, we end up where we are right now having learned something

Best case, we end up with the best translated Linux distributions on the planet

Win-Win