Re: [opensuse-translation] Weblate / posummit status and possibilities
  • From: Tomáš Chvátal <tchvatal@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 08 Apr 2013 12:29:41 +0200
Dne So 6. dubna 2013 18:14:39, Carlos E. R. napsal(a):

After that we would probably discourage/disable the direct access to the
po
files because you would loose all the fancy stuff like the branch merging
when you work around and not use the web interface. So please let me know
how strongly would you be against web-based translation approach.

I suppose the translation process would be considerably slowed down for
those of us who translate openSUSE po files using full-fledged CAT tools.

Although I don't know how the weblate site would work. For all I know it
might be packed with productivity boosting features. :)

Indeed. I will not work via a web tool, no matter how good it is.

Why is that, if the tool is more convinient to use and easier to manage?

We can still allow the write access in the end but you would loose all the
goodies.

On the other hand, SLES translation is done, AFAIK, by profesional paid
translators, whereas openSUSE is translated by volunteers. You can not
merge both teams.

Yes there were some paid translations, but that is not regular basis afaik, so
we can merge and review the "pro" stuff to be merged into openSUSE and vice
versa.

I certainly refuse to translate something gratis that may used by a paid
professional, who gets paid for my work. And they, being professionals,
may also reject the translations done by amateurs. I know of some
translators teams that do, they even do exams on volunteer candidates.

Ahem AFAIK the translations are merged anyway and whatever you contribute to
the openSUSE release is marked GPL/CC and others and will one day be included
in next SLE or actually used by anyone else interested.

I am CCing Jos to see if my contribution assumptiond are right or not.

Cheers

Tom
< Previous Next >
List Navigation