Re: [opensuse-translation] Re: Vertaal (was: Moving SVN to opensuse.org)
  • From: Strainu <strainu10@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2011 13:18:44 +0200
2011/11/30 Carlos E. R. <carlos.e.r@xxxxxxxxxxxx>:
The translations themselves have the same legal status regardless of you
using vertaal or not. The .po files usually have a license preamble, and
that is what applies.

True. We might want to discuss about that in another thread, as right
now every language seems to have a different copyright preamble, which
is different from the one in the POT files. That does not mean that
Vertaal is making it clear for the users what license are they
translating under (again, perhaps I don't know where to look).

As to CC not being free, I disagree. It was invented precisely for being
contrary to the copyright.

I sincerely hope that won't get you into any trouble in the future,
because it's simply not true. No license makes the copyright
disappear, it just allows the others to use the work following some
rules. See the following link:
http://wiki.creativecommons.org/FAQ#Is_Creative_Commons_against_copyright.3F

IANAL, but integrating content licensed as NC into GPL programs is
very likely illegal.

Strainu