Re: [opensuse-translation] Info on packages/pot files
Am Dienstag, 18. Oktober 2011 schrieb Andrea Turrini:
2011/10/18 Stephan Kulow <coolo@xxxxxxx>:
In any case, I need to use at least LC_ALL=it_IT in order to keep
Italian translation of zypper since LC_ALL=it is not enough in my
system.

I asked the zypper maintainer to check how much effort it is to make
zypper fetch all system locales. It knows about it from
/var/lib/zypp/RequestedLocales

In my system, the content of /var/lib/zypp/RequestedLocales is:

---8<---
# zypp::RequestedLocales generated Mon 14 Mar 2011 02:52:44 PM CET
#
it
en_US
#
---8<---
but as I said, zypper is in English when using LC_ALL=it, in Italian
when using LC_ALL=it_IT.
The strange thing is that /usr/share/locale/it_IT/LC_MESSAGES/ is
empty while /usr/share/locale/it/LC_MESSAGES/ contains over 850 files,
including zypper.mo with Italian translation (from package zypper).
There is another zypper.mo, from package translation-update-it, in
/usr/share/locale-langpack/it/LC_MESSAGES/ that is the file actually
used by zypper.
So it seems that zypper uses zypper.mo in it/LC_MESSAGES when
LC_ALL=it_IT is used, but fails to find zypper.mo when LC_ALL=it is
used.

A similar thing happens in the oS 12.1 testing installation.

Bug report?
Hmm that would be a problem in glibc, but I'm not expert in all these LC_*

Greetings, Stephan