Re: [opensuse-translation] Translation files for kde devicenotifier and other
Hi Carlos,

On 03/15/2011 09:17 PM, Carlos E. R. wrote:
On 2011-03-15 13:59, Andrea Turrini wrote:
This string is in lcn/it/update-desktop-files-yast.it.po from the end
of 2009 as:

#: /usr/share/applications/YaST2/webpin.desktop
msgctxt "GenericName(webpin.desktop)"
msgid "Search for software in online repositories "
msgstr "Cerca software nei repository online "

and in update-desktop-files-yast.pot as:

#: /usr/share/applications/YaST2/webpin.desktop
msgctxt "GenericName(webpin.desktop)"
msgid "Search for software in online repositories "
msgstr ""

but in /usr/share/locale/it/LC_MESSAGES/desktop_translations.mo the
string occurs as (as displayed by midnight commander):

msgid ""
"GenericName(webpin.desktop): Search for software in online repositories "
msgstr "Cerca software nei repository online "

There is a difference in the msgid and I do not know whether this can
be the cause of not using translation.

Yes.

But according to the gettext doc, it should be equivalent since strings
following msgid are concatenated and only chars inside "" care (if I
have understood correctly the last part of
http://www.gnu.org/software/gettext/manual/gettext.html#PO-Files).

Do you know how to verify the translations from command line? I tried
using gettext (i.e., gettext "GenericName(webpin.desktop): Search for
software in online repositories "), but it always returns the string I
use as parameter.

Regards,
Andrea