Re: [opensuse-translation] End of translations for 11.3
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <carlos.e.r@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 9 Jun 2010 13:04:46 +0200 (CEST)

On Wednesday, 2010-06-09 at 10:54 +0200, Stephan Kulow wrote:

Am Dienstag 08 Juni 2010 schrieb Vojtěch Zeisek:
Hello

OK, according to http://www.suse.de/~coolo/opensuse_11.3/ I'd expect all
translations presented in SVN until tomorrow 14:00 GMT will be available
for 11.3. Is there any way to update the translations after release? I do
That's exactly right. If there are translations you commited before that date,
that are not in RC1, please file a bug report and I'll give my best to make
it fixed.

Problem is, we may not know ourselves (translators) if our translation "works". For example, I rarely "test" my translations ⁽¹⁾, I rely on other doing that. If they do... or if they do in time and report.

(1) My installed factory system is often not current (no network when I have available time). I often find more important (to me) problems when I test factory, which I investigate and report, and thus, rarely reach the point of carefully "testing" the translation. Plus, I use the system in English, not Spanish... I translate blindly, I don't often see or use what I make. I don't know if it is the same for other translators.

On the other hand, how can I test the translation for, say, webyast? I can't run all the procedures or sections there to see if all possible strings are there and are correct in context.

Often errors in translations will be noticed after much time... and often the people who notice can't report in English.

not mean bugs, but adding newly translated strings.

Usually it is, the process involves a lot of work, so we don't do it for
peanuts though. Remember that e.g. if you want a zypper translation changed
from "Foobar" to "Foobär" _all_ 11.3 users will have to update their zypper
and only very few will take advantage of the fixed translation. But if we
update zypper because of a problem, we usually update the translations too.

Could a repo with up to date translation packages be made? :-?

- -- Cheers,