Re: [opensuse-translation] 11.3 Translation Planning?
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <carlos.e.r@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 04 Mar 2010 00:42:31 +0100

On 2010-03-03 09:17, Martin Schlander wrote:
Onsdag den 3. marts 2010 00:36:18 skrev Carlos E. R.:
On Tuesday, 2010-03-02 at 23:14 +0100, Martin Schlander wrote:
Lokalize is much better than KBabel ever was - and has been for a while.

Las time I looked Lokalize held a lot of promise - but that is, promise. I
couldn't figure how to configure it, and I did not find some functionality
I need.

You guys must be crazy ;-)

The diffs for fuzzy messages alone saves so much time that it can't be
exaggerated and is well worth the switch (supported by openSUSE PO-files
since
11.2 cycle).

And there's so much else Lokalize does to help you translate better and
faster. Sometimes it's almost too easy.

You need to try it again (>= 4.3 version particularly). The time will be a
good investment.

Ok, I'll bite :-)

In my other machine, which has oS 11.2 with gnome, I told YaST to install
lokalize and all its
dependencies. It runs.

The configuration is confusing.

What is "approved status"? If I press "help" on that dialog, I get the
"lokalize handbook", not
pointed at the page explaining that dialog.

I try to configure the project. What is ID? what is the root folder? The
glossary? The template
folder? The branch folder? The alternate translation folder?

Again, I go to the help file, and under "project" I get just 3 lines of useless
text.

How do I display, say, the entire yast/po/es directory, list how many messages
each one has (total,
translated, fuzzy), check syntax, load one of them?

Translation memory.

How do I train it? I want to tell it to scan the entire yast/po/es tree so that
it learns. Again,
the help file explains nothing. At least, I understand nothing.

I open a .po file.

What is "phase"? Under the file menu.

I see leds for "untranslated" and "not ready". I don't see "fuzzy". What is
"not ready"? How do I
get the fuzzy status displayed? How do I change the fuzzy status?

On the left part I see something called "units". What is an unit? I see a link
for "add a note".
What is a note? Where are the comment fields?

How do I tell lokalize to check the syntax of the translation and then, go to
the errors found? I
absolutely need this.

Frankly, I can't use lokalize. I can not make head or tails of it. It needs
plainly written help,
for non programmers. For people used to kbabel. Explaining what is every thing,
give examples,
explain the intended workflow.

Either I use kbabel again, under 11.0, or poedit.

- --
Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 11.2 x86_64 "Emerald" GM (Elessar))