Re: [opensuse-translation] l10n process improvement
  • From: Karl Eichwalder <ke@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 10 Nov 2009 15:03:57 +0100
Jean Cayron <jean.cayron@xxxxxxxxx> writes:

2009/11/7 Kálmán Kéménczy <kkemenczy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

idea 5
We have to build l10n volunteers respect and community. I am not sure
why we should deliver languages where translations are under 75%. (at
Mozilla this is 100%). We have to contact to the translators and find
out what happens and maybe we have find more/new volunteers.

That's not very respectfull for small or minority languages that
strive to have the most translated they can, dealing with openSUSE,
Gnome, KDE, Mozilla... Try to find new volounteers does not always
succeed. So what? Throw the language away? What's the point to have
Yast 100% translated (even some very specific and technician parts) if
half of the desktop is untranslated?

In YaST, there used to be a warning telling the user that language X is
not complete, if he selects it for installation. IIRC, this warning
pops up at 70% or 80%. I think we should improve this mechanism. Yes,
you are right, for the regular user completely translated applications
are more useful then a complete translated admin tool such as YaST.

Even if a language is very incompletely we should publish it and telling
the user the status as detailed as possible. The only reason not to
distribute or enable a language is, when the quality of the translation
is dubious.

R&D / Documentation