Re: [opensuse-translation] Indiscriminated merges that are not fuzzied
  • From: Александр Мелентьев <alex239@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 4 Oct 2009 14:28:34 +0400
The fact that life is not always fair does not mean we shouldn't try
to fix it. Isn't the whole idea of this list to help community-driven
translation team and make their life better? =) I totally agree with
Leandro that these merges are a real problem that needs a solution. I
guess that DMP (decision making person) is not a translator himself,
cause otherwise he would understand what it's like to look thousands
of lines of your hard work on u-d-f going away with the next 'svn
update'. No way somebody could think it is a pleasure of any kind...

Anyway, I think that fuzziing merged upstream translations will not
really solve the problem, cause team's translation is nevertheless
destroyed at this point (but if there's no other option it should be
done).

Currently, u-d-f produce a lot of hard but unneeded and useless work
for translators. I think that importance of these files should be
rethinked, cause in case of total preferring of upstream translations
they don't make any sense. If there is a reason for them to stay then
all files receiving upstream translations should at least be separated
to their own branch 'upstream' or 'desktop' or whatever, cause they
require a totally different workflow and cooperation with upstream
translation team.