Re: [opensuse-translation] zypper in openSUSE using SLED translations instead of openSUSE ones
  • From: Karl Eichwalder <ke@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 02 Mar 2009 15:26:09 +0100
Stephan Kulow <coolo@xxxxxxx> writes:

Am Friday 27 February 2009 12:28:51 schrieb Andreas Jaeger:

I'm glad that it takes some time until the next SLED gets released and I
hope we can all learn from it

Branch SLE earlier ;) But this probably is not an option. Maybe, I
should have warned the openSUSE translators in advance. Otherwise, too
many warnings are also annoying, and right from the beginning it was
pretty clear to me that "SLE translations in Factory" is just a
temporary issue and SVN is not affected at all.

- and fix the problems introduced without problems,

I can at least tell some: the problem was mainly that packages that were
meant
purely for SLE (i.e. only containting SLE languages, not all openSUSE ones)
were checked in into Factory to get the bug fixes within that packages into
Factory fast. That this regressed the translations for the moment in Factory
was seen as smaller evil.

Yes, this also happened with the YaST translations. Now we have
yast2-trans with yast translations from the trunk (= openSUSE 11.2 plus
community updates) in Factory as:

https://build.opensuse.org/package/show?package=yast2-trans&project=openSUSE%3AFactory

There isn't and never was an intention to automatically merge the SLE
translations. The SLE translators had a different time scale, different
requirements and different tools - so it's clear that there is no simple
merging. The code11 branch is there and open and you can grab from it what's
considered good or file bug reports if you consider something bad (if you care
for SLE, of course noone expects you too).

Yes, that's it.

Again: We will not throw away any translation work done for 11.1 when going
towards 11.2 - the opposite is true. I went great lengths to rewrite the
desktop files handling to give you a way to look at conflicts. And not even
about SLE conflicts, but I already do not dare to throw away work that
upstream did differently.

Thanks for this, coolo!

R&D / Documentation