Re: [opensuse-translation] zypper in openSUSE using SLED translations instead of openSUSE ones
  • From: "Olav P." <olav.pet@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2009 08:28:55 +0100
Fredag 27. februar 2009 03:26:13 skrev Carlos E. R.:

I find this demeaning of our work. I'll have to consider stoping my
collaboration if this is not reverted, for all files affected.

:-|

If you are going to use somebody else's translation, after all the work we
have invested, I see no use in translating anything further. You can do it
on your own. :-/

Well, as this after all is volunteer work I don't actually find it "demeaning"
but I do find it counter productive.

I don't know about other languages but for my language (nb), openSUSE
translations are generally of a higher quality than SLES/SLED translations.

Therefore, the quality of openSUSE translations will drop considerably every
time SLED/SLES translations are merged before a translation round.

This is a general observation and I'm sure there are examples to the opposite
effect, both for other languages and for individual strings.

Still, I don't think it is a good idea to replace good translations with bad
ones, and I find it particularly counter-productive to reinsert typos and
translation errors from SLED/SLES that openSUSE translators have corrected
during previous rounds

It feels rather meaningless to proofread the same strings and correct the same
errors over and over again, and translators will of course give up in the end
and just leave these bad translation "as is". I do exactly that, i.e. give up
an leave reoccurring errors, but I don't like it because files with funny
translations will be tagged with my name if I am the last person who has
edited a particular file, although most of the funny stuff is produced
elsewhere :-).
.

Here is my suggestion:

DO NOT MERGE SLES/SLED TRANSLATIONS AT ALL but make the SLES/SLED translation
memory available as a tmx file or something for openSUSE translatiors, That
way we can use or disregard the SLES/SLED translation for any particular
string.

Cheers

Olav