Re: [opensuse-translation] Please have respect and stop merging any day.
  • From: Martin Schlander <martin.schlander@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 23 Nov 2008 16:12:52 +0100
Lørdag 22 november 2008 13:06:06 skrev Carlos E. R.:
On Saturday, 2008-11-22 at 12:45 +0100, Andrea Florio wrote:
we translate for free in free time, and in one of last merging karl
asked to fixed changes in few hours..

Well, I expected "suffering" changes when I volunteered for translating, I
knew what this was about, more or less. I don't mind very much having to
change and change again already translated files, and having last minute
changes.

You have to expect some changes, but this is my fourth release as translation
coordinator, and it's by far the most messy process I've seen so far.

I think the printer yast module has litterally had hundreds of string changes
after string freeze.

We have wasted valuable time translating YaST-modules that were later removed
from trunk.

After translation freeze (at least I understood this was on november 7th)
gnome-packagekit suddenly had ~100 new strings, now, after doing a ton of work
translating it, and getting the translations upstream, there are another new
25 strings because of "bugfixing".

After being in the distro for 2 years or so, yast-gtk now suddenly needs a
couple of _huge_ help texts - waaay after all freezes - and I'm sure they'll
soon be fuzzy again when the typos are discovered, what a joy it'll be to find
a couple of miniscule changes in a 30 line string (can't wait for the --
previous, diff-thingy feature to be used in openSUSE POs).

Lots and lots of KDE4-strings were only made translateable very late.

And at the same time few new/changed strings still keep appearing left and
right on an almost daily basis everytime you look away for a second, mostly in
YaST.

And I have a feeling that despite all this very hard work, we'll probably end
up with a release that's untranslated in lots of prominent places anyway.

From the outside the whole process appears very messy. I had quite different
expectations for 11.1 when the roadmap was first released with nice long
freeze periods, but that's not how it's gone down...

I can't say if the reason is the parallel SLE development, upstream immaturity
(kde4, gnome-packagekit) , the unusually short release cycle between 11.0 and
11.1, or something entirely different. But I sure hope we can work in a more
orderly fashion in the future.