Re: [opensuse-translation] Problems with update-desktop-files-kde.it.po
  • From: "Luiz Fernando Ranghetti" <elchevive68@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2008 16:23:44 -0200
2008/11/9 Andrea Turrini <andrea.turrini@xxxxxxxxx>:
Hi all,

I'm translating into Italian the lnc/po/update-desktop-files-kde.it.po file.
Watching the changes between my last version (39512) and the svn head
(41534), besides the fuzzy and untranslated strings, I've discovered a lot
of new/modified translated strings with errors or strange behaviors.

In fact, I've found mainly these problems:
- some strings are translated into different strings even if they are
relative to the same msgid of the same file
- some new and modified strings contain grammar mistakes or do not match the
singular/plural of msgid (while original translations was right)
- some translated strings are replaced with untranslated ones
- some translated strings are replaced with wrong ones
- some modified strings seems to be replaced by strings generated by an
automatic translator
- some modified strings contain words that do not exists in Italian
- some modified strings do not follow standard Italian translations (see
http://en.opensuse.org/Translation-it#Elenco_delle_parole_di_uso_comune_e_loro_traduzione_standard
)
- some modified strings contain fuzzy words or now they are ambiguous

Are the above problems specific for Italian translation or they occurred
also for other languages? And only in update-desktop-files-kde.it.po file
or also in other update-desktop-* files (I've not checked them because they
are not assigned to me)?

Another thing: what is the better thing to do now? Check the whole file
looking for strange/wrong strings (because problems are inside the
"translated" strings, and they are a lot) or only the strings changed by
last commits? This because there is few time to correct the above problems
before the next packaging...

Regards,
Andrea

probably it occurs in all languages as some new strings are translated
automaticaly based on a translation memory ([0] and [1]) and these
memory could have some errors (thinks that are not in the standard
your team define, etc)

regards,

Luiz

[0] https://forgesvn1.novell.com/svn/suse-i18n/trunk/lcn/50-memory/