Re: [opensuse-translation] translate openSUSE+upstream at once: merged pot file, gnome-packagekit
  • From: Alberto Passalacqua <alberto.passalacqua@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 26 Apr 2008 16:43:35 -0500
Hello,

at four days before deadline it's still not really clear how we should
proceed. At the moment we have three .po/.pot (openSUSE SVN, partly
translated upstream, Stanislav's .pot), and we don't know where to
commit it. Plus it seems we are expected to correct also the origial
text.

Fedora did something simpler: they extracted the UI strings and
translated those. They are only 67
( http://translate.fedoraproject.org/module/packagekit ), and for the
available languages, I think those strings should be reused.

There's no need to translate the whole .po and there's no need to
standardise string tagging, because our teams accepted to translate
openSUSE, its additions and not applications.

Moreover I still don't understand why it was decided to include that GUI
for the updater if it was not properly translated before the decision.
It's simply the wrong approach, and it shows once again that the
importance given to localization is too low at opensuse.

On my side, I decided not to proceed with its translation and to give
priority to the rest of the distribution, to which this file does not
belong to.

Bye,
A.