Re: [opensuse-translation] Tools to help the translation teams
  • From: Alberto Passalacqua <alberto.passalacqua@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2008 08:54:42 -0500
Glad to see that you're able to attract new contributors, though. If you
have to reject some requests, maybe you can redirect them to some
upstream projects (GNOME, KDE, translation project, etc.)?

Sure. It's what I did. Someone is helping on openSUSE wiki, someone
helps on other projects.

Well, I'm glad that you don't need any change. But I'd be surprised to
hear that every translators feels comfortable with svn. To make it
clear: if I had time to translate, I wouldn't need most of those tools
either. It doesn't mean other people don't need it.

What I meant is that I don't see how a tool can reduce the learning
curve of two commands, that can be used really in a mechanical way, even
if you don't understand anything about svn (I don't really know much
about if, just checkout, commit and update ^^).

Anyway, if someone has some good idea, I'm not against it in principle,
of course.

That's one way to organize the work, yes. My point is that it might not
be the best way for everybody, even though it's fine for you.

Of course it can be improved in many ways. I'm just trying to say "keep
things simple", because what it seems to me is that we are just adding
levels of complexity (more tools) instead of removing obstacles.

Well, why would it be costly for you if it doesn't change anything to
your workflow? I mean, it would cost me time, but it's fine since I'm
willing to do this because I'm convinced it's something we have to do.

I didn't mean it's costly for me. I meant it's costly for openSUSE and
who will implement it, considering that IMHO there are a lot of most
urgent aspects the openSUSE project should fix before thinking to
translations (read a good high available download centre, QA on patches,
and, I know it's a dream, a "stabilization" release.)

FWIW, looking at the stats, there are 31607 strings. That's huge. For
reference, the official GNOME modules contain around 40000 strings.

Yes, but they're not completely untranslated. Memory does a good job :-)

Regards,
Alberto