Re: [opensuse-translation] Tools to help the translation teams
  • From: Vincent Untz <vuntz@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2008 01:09:28 +0100
Le mardi 18 mars 2008, à 11:06 -0500, Alberto Passalacqua a écrit :
As long as the tools do not allow/encourage people to start doing things
without getting in touch with the coordinator first, I'm not against it.

On the other hand I'm happy with the tools we have, so it's not something
that
I'd consider very important.

Now if someone could make as-you-type-spellcheck work in LoKalize, _that_
would be something :-)

I agree with Martin on the whole line.

I'm personally happy with the current tools too. The only problems I see
is not in doing translations or in organising them for the translation
team. It's in coordinating with developers to avoid repetitive work
(read: strings changed without a reason, mainly with cosmetic
motivations).
For the rest, a spreadsheet with "you do this, you do that, and I do the
rest" or something like POAT is more than what we need.

It's a topic a bit more complex than "do we need it?". From my
experience, using a tool like vertimus totally changed the way the
french translation team (GNOME one, not openSUSE one) works. It suddenly
was easier to understand what was happening, easier to know the status
of each translation (under translating, waiting for proofreading, etc.),
and also it helped attract new contributors. And the translation really
improved a lot because of this.

Now, if we also make it easier to commit things, or easier to translate
with a specific app, this will remove a bottleneck, or lower the barrier
of entry. And again, there will be more contributors.

I'm not sure if it's the case, but it's better to clarify. I'm against
online translations tools meant as an online replacement of
poedit/lokalize. The reasons are simple: you need a connection, you work
on the original files, and it makes more complex to fix issues if
someone does a mess.

Again, the plan would be to have the use of all those tools optional:
you're not forced to use them if you don't want to use them. But having
them improves the translation process and the translations in the long
term.

Vincent

--
Les gens heureux ne sont pas pressés.