Re: [opensuse-translation] Translation of update-desktop-files.es.po (lcn)
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2007 16:27:30 +0100 (CET)

The Tuesday 2007-12-11 at 15:14 +0100, Ladislav Michnovič wrote:

Then, the entire 'update-desktop-files.es.po' file is only used to create
application launchers for gnome desktop, and only gnome?

No. I only found the explanation there. It is used in all menus in openSUSE.
That means both menus in KDE (Kickoff and the old one), menu in GNOME,
xdg menu in lightweight Window Managers like Windowmaker, iceWM, fvwm,
... or whatever we have.

Ah, I see...

I'm sorry, but I do not understand, and I need to, in order to understand
exactly what I can translate and how. The file is translated, but then I
need to review all 6838 entries, most of them done probably years ago by I
don't know whom and what what criteria.

Take a look how desktop file looks like. All of them are in
usr/share/applications/ directory. For exampe sax2.desktop file
contains:

[Desktop Entry]
Categories=System;SystemSetup;
Type=Application
X-KDE-SubstituteUID=true
Exec=/usr/sbin/sax2
Name=SaX2
Icon=sax2
GenericName=Configure X11 System

GenericName[af]=Konfigureer X11-stelsel
X-SuSE-translate=true
GenericName[bg]=Настройка на системата X11
GenericName[cs]=Nastavení grafického prostředí
GenericName[da]=Konfigurér X11-systemet
GenericName[de]=X11-System konfigurieren
GenericName[el]=Ρύθμιση Συστήματος X11
GenericName[es]=Configuración del sistema X11

Ah.

As you can see, it will be weird to translate SaX2, because it is a
genuine name of the application. But you should translate GenericName,
because it's a comment which gives the user information what the
application does. So it can't be in English.

Yes...

It appears I should not translate any "Name()" marked messages, but many
of them were translated by my predecessor of previous years.

Not exactly. You will not be able to find e.g. "Firefox" in menu if it
is translated somehow differently. I think everybody knows browser
Firefox under the name "Firefox" everywhere in any language. But it
make sense in cases like this:
msgctxt "Name(amarok_addaspodcast.desktop)"
msgid "Add as Podcast to Amarok"
msgstr "TRANSLATION"
because msgid is an information not a genuine name of the application.

Mmmm...

All this is convincing me more and more that the translation of desktop files shouldn't be done by the gettext mechanism. Not .po files, we'd need something different. Some thing that would group together all the fields of a single file, so that the make sense together: the name, the commentary, etc.

Or an extended .po format and tool that does this grouping of related messages.

I must be day dreaming...

Then, you only mention Gnome, but Yast module names are translated here,
too.

Yes, they have also they're own desktop files. You can find them in
/usr/share/applications/YaST2/ directory.
I would prefer to have all YaST2 desktop entries in one separate po file.
It is real pain to look for YaST entries only if I want to translate
all YaST menu entries but don't have enough time to translate all
entries in update-desktop-files.sk.po. It's easy to overlook one or
two of them.

Obviously!

Ok, thanks for the explanation... what I'm afraid is that if this .po file is not translated carefully it can break things and cause user confusion.

It confuses the poor translator, so imagine the confused result confusing the user, then pestering bugzillas! ;-) :-p

- -- Cheers,