Re: [opensuse-translation] Re: [opensuse-project] proposal for organizing translation work
  • From: Alberto Passalacqua <alberto.passalacqua@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 08 Dec 2007 21:42:56 +0100
At the point where we are with translation management, we should really
consider a tool to facilitate the work.

At the moment:

* we use SVN manually
* we have a separate web page for statistics
* we don't receive communications about changes in .po files
* already translated files are altered during operations
* we use mixed .po formats (not suse specific, but still a
problem)
* team management is completely left to personal communication

Simplifying the procedure is now a lot more important than before: now
many languages have open translations, so translators are volunteers and
not paid.

As a consequence, providing them proper and easy tools is essential not
to waste their time as it happens often now (repeated translations of
the exact same stuff), and to keep them motivated.

Dedication has nothing to do with solving issues not related to the work
someone accepted (read .po formats, merging issues, sudden and
continuous changes in .po...we discussed of these already). You may be
dedicated, but if you see you're loosing too much time to do technical
stuff not directly related to your real goal (translation in this case),
your motivation goes down for sure.

To conclude, each improvement is welcome in my opinion in the
translation process, which is now quite manual. The fact that a tool is
free or open counts a lot less, if it is a good tool.

With kind regards,
Alberto