Re: [opensuse-translation] Re: [opensuse-project] proposal for organizing translation work
  • From: Martin Schlander <suse@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 8 Dec 2007 12:55:49 +0100
Den Saturday 08 December 2007 00:00:03 skrev Pascal Bleser:
Gabriel . wrote:
The translation tool seems very interesting, it is possible to use the
online tool (and have access to a 800k+ string database) or download
the po file for local work. Also you can have a track of what file is
being translated and by who, and more.

It's most probably a very nice tool, but using it is a big "no way"
because it isn't opensource nor free.

But yeah, indeed, it would be great to have a tool that is both easy to
use and potent enough to merge with upstream, because translation is an
obvious topic where lots of people can contribute, even people who have
less experience in the technical field (note that I said "less
experience", not "no experience" ;)).

Personally I don't believe that it's necessarily a good idea to lower the
barrier to entry beyond a certain point. Sure, contributing should be easy,
but It can become _too_ easy.

I think it's important to have some mechanisms for ensuring people getting
involved have at least some degree of dedication, and that the coordinators
have some control over who does what, when, why and how (team guidelines and
such).

Not saying a webinterface is a bad idea, but care for these issues is needed.