Re: [opensuse-translation] Translation of update-desktop-files.es.po (lcn)
  • From: Karl Eichwalder <ke@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2007 10:44:16 +0100
"Carlos E. R." <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

I would like to request developers to split it up in smaller files, too -
at least till we get kaider running one of these years.
Any chance? O:-)

We discussed it earlier this year, and coolo wrote a script to
accomplish such splitting. IICR, the script is in 50-tools of the lcn
tree. We do not make use of it because we could not decide whether we
want to split alphabetically or project-wise. If we'd split per project
(Gnome, KDE, the rest), they files would still be large. Splitting
would result in 20+ files...

At the end of the day (= discussion), the translator opted to the big
file as-is.

#: /opt/kde3/share/applications/kde/kbabel.desktop
#: /usr/share/applications/kde4/kbabel.desktop
msgctxt "Name(kbabel.desktop)"
msgid "KBabel"
msgstr "KBabel"

It appears those entries are program names. Can we translate them? Should
we? Is it just a name, or is it used as a token elsewhere, and thus
translation can have consequences? Or do we write a description?

This must be decided on a per team basis. Every language is different.
There are exceptions, as usual. Do not translate official product
name. Maybe, KBabel would also rate as a product name...

You see the dilemma? Sometimes the .po file needs some help or context
info from the developers, what's their intention for those messages...
This is more dificult for us amateur translators than for profesionals.

Yes, never ever underestimate how difficult (or at least timeconsuming)
it is doing this translation business properly!

#: /usr/share/applications/banshee.desktop
# Cer: dudoso
msgctxt "Name(banshee.desktop)"
msgid "Helix Banshee"
msgstr "Reproductor de música Helix Banshee"

Same thing, is it a program name that should not be translated (then why
is it there?) or should I translate the meaning or put a description, or
what?

If in doubt, always assume it is a product name if it is a message of
the update-desktop-files entries.

R&D / Documentation