Re: [opensuse-translation] The "packages" sub-branch, do we have to translate it?
  • From: Pascal Bleser <pascal.bleser@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 09 Nov 2007 01:53:22 +0100

Karl Eichwalder wrote:
"Carlos E. R." <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
The "packages" sub-branch, do we have to translate it? I ask because in
the stats page it doesn't appear.

Working on the package descriptions is pointless. But you may consider
to work on them in the trunk for 11.0.

Pointless... unless someone comes up with a tool that directly modifies
binary RPM file headers to update %SUMMARY and %DESCRIPTION(lang),
because that way, one could update the translations without rebuilding :)
Those could be extracted and converted to gettext format, and then
re-merged into the binary RPM files.

Not sure that's actually feasible though (and would require removing and
re-adding signatures, as well as updating the hash of the package
headers.. that's probably not the hardest part though).

Either no one had the idea of doing that before (which I'd seriously
doubt) or it just isn't feasible for technical reason, because I'm yet
to see something like that for any RPM or deb based distribution.

cheers
- --