Re: [opensuse-translation] Re: Final Translation Cycle - Extended Deadline
  • From: Karl Eichwalder <ke@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 09 Nov 2006 10:23:42 +0100
Stanisław Małolepszy <smalolepszy@xxxxxxxx> writes:

> Karl, I'm concerned with the level of activity in the svn repository. I
> thought there was a rule that during localization rounds the files are
> frozen, and no changes are made to them. Please, respect this rule!

Yes, we respect this rule, but the openSUSE developers have to fix bugs.
That's the other side of the coin. The overall-goal is not to ship a
100% translated product, but to ship a good or excellent product. Here
are some rules when we allow late minute changes to the pot files:

If we detect "untagged" messages that the user may see if he uses
openSUSE, we will mark them for translation and add them to the
repository.

Sometimes messages turn out to be weaky worded. If these messages
are important, we will fix them.

During the beta test we find situations that need to be handled by
the GUI.

Such files like update-desktop-files most likely will change every
day.

We do not expect you to translate all these new strings. I always
notify you if an important change happens. Only work on the other
messages if you have time. Always take into account how many messages
openSUSE exist. Even if 100 messages are untranslated, it's just 0.x or
0.0x% or the pool.

Additional note: Feeding the messages in a "private" repository always
take time. Often it might be worth spending this time. In the long run
I recommend to enhance the repository on Novell forge. If translation
memories or other tools are missing, we should discuss them and then you
can add them.

> I understand that this is due to updates made by developers, but I'd
> appreciate if you waited till the end of the round (and then schedulle
> another one), or explicitly announced on the list, that an update was
> checked in.

There are conflicting goal. The sooner the messages are in, the sooner
translators can work on them, and test them. But I think we can offer
additional statistics about certain milestones. We shall discuss this
with Klára and she probably will help us to implement such a feature
after 10.2.

> Most of the updates are about line numbers, and as such, they are
> irrelevant to translators. Luckily, they're easy to filter out. However,
> this is not the case with the files in which broken-line strings were
> changed into one-line strings (--no-wrap option) - it is more difficult
> to have them automatically ignored in diffs.

Yes, line numbers are sometimes difficult to handle. We can discuss the
--no-wrap option. In the very past, developers and translators aked for
it. Yes, you are not meant to update translations if files only differ
in line numbers and wrapping. Before diffing it mostly works best to
normalize the files first using msgcat without any option or with
--sorted.

> If you want me to submit a bug report about this, I surely will.

Most of your concerns are fair issues and we must make sure not to
forget about them and to implement missing feature. Thus it might be a
good idea to add some of them as enhancement requests.

R&D / Documentation SUSE Linux Products GmbH

GPG: 1024D/06EB882E B2A3 AF2F CFC8 40B1 67EA 475A 5903 A21B 06EB 882E