Re: [opensuse-translation] Clarification needed
  • From: Karl Eichwalder <ke@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2006 13:16:21 +0200
Olav Pettershagen <olav.pet@xxxxxxxxx> writes:

> I'm a bit puzzled about the about the new translation procedure (if there is a
> new procedure).

I'm sorry about that. No need to worry that much, though. It might be
a bit confusing that we are also discussing adding new languages and
involving the openSUSE community as much as possible.

> In the past there used to messages on the mailing list when new files for
> translation were uploaded with a pointer where the files could be be found.

For such announcement, we now will use this mailinglist. Instead of
downloading the bundle from the server, we probably will ask the
translators to check out the files from an SVN system. If a translator
does not feel comfortable with interacting with SVN, we'd support mail
either by helping him with SVN or preparing a bundle as in the past.

> Is a more "automated" process set up now, and should I take some sort of
> action to include my language (nb) in that process?
>
> I might add that I'm not exactly member of a SUSE translation team or anything
> like that - I don't think such a thing exists for nb.

No action is required, but it wouldn't hurt, if every team--even 1
person teams ;)--would create an openSUSE page with basic info. Those
pages should be referenced from
http://en.opensuse.org/OpenSUSE_Localization_Teams as already done for
Czech and Hungarian.

I hope this helps. Translation things are a bit in flux, and we would
like to hear feedback as soon as possible--thus we can implement as much
as possible during the next weeks.

R&D / Documentation SUSE Linux Products GmbH

Key fingerprint = B2A3 AF2F CFC8 40B1 67EA 475A 5903 A21B 06EB 882E