Re: [opensuse-testing] New draft for request
On 06/28/2011 03:17 AM, Larry Finger wrote:
To the Testing Core Team: As you know, we have been discussing what we might
do to increase the number of testers, particular as
we approach the final release. The statement below will be sent to the
openSUSE-project mailing list.

If you wish to have your name added to the "proposal supported by" list,
please let me know. This message will be mailed on
Monday July 3, thus I need to know by then.

Thanks, Larry

This is a request for changing the name of the MS6 release to Beta.

The Testing Core Team (TCT) discussed the general problem of testing of new
releases. With openQA, the probability that Factory
iso's will boot and install is greatly increased; however, with the current
system, many users do not start testing until RC1 is
ready. As a result, there is very little time for detecting and fixing the
bugs that will only be seen with a workload that is
diverse. Such early testing will be particularly important for 12.1. Not only
have we regularized the release schedule and
naming scheme and need to follow through with a high-quality product, but we
are behind due to the early build problems.

The TCT considered several possible changes to entice earlier and broader
testing. The schedule does not have much flexibility
to increase the time between the RC1 and GM releases, thus we probably need
to indulge in some 'social engineering' to get
earlier testing. We could change from 6 Milestone and 2 RC releases to 5 and
3, respectively, without tampering with the total
time. Alternatively, we could rename from MS6 to Beta. The TCT favors the
latter option. It might mislead the users/testers a
little regarding the quality of the offering, but I don't think calling MS6
"Beta" is misleading. By most definitions, Beta
means feature-complete and free of huge bugs - we should be able to get that
with MS6.

A beta release should attract more users. In addition, many of us start
full-time usage with MS5 or MS6, thus we know it to be
usable for many people.
Thanks for considering this proposal to further enhance the user experience
and the quality of the final 12.1 release.

This proposal is supported by Larry Finger, Bernhard M. Wiedemann, Refilwe
Seete, Holger Sickenberg, and ...

And me support that too.

--

Bruno Friedmann