[opensuse-testing] VMware / GNOME 3 mystery
I have two machines, both running openSUSE 11.4 with GNOME 3 desktops. Both are 64-bit with 4 GB of RAM and both have VMware Workstation 7.1.4 installed.

One of them works fine (a desktop) but the other, a laptop, has a bizarre issue. When VMware Workstation is running, at certain unpredictable times, the desktop logs out all the way to the login prompt, killing the VMware processes.

I know a little bit about what's happening - when I use the GTK libraries that come with VMware rather than those in openSUSE, this doesn't happen. There's an environment variable setting

VMWARE_USE_SHIPPED_GTK="force"

that does this, and when I have that set, everything works. Two questions:

1. Has anyone else seen this? I'm going to explore the VMware forums to see if they have any clues, but since I have a workaround, I'm guessing VMware Workstation isn't using the newer GTK libraries from GNOME 3 correctly and there's nothing broken in openSUSE. I don't know why this should crash the whole session down to a login prompt, though.

2. Is there any way I can figure out what's happening in more detail? It's very sudden and I haven't seen any crash dumps anywhere. Is there a way to run "gdm" with a debugger and get a stack trace or something?
--
http://twitter.com/znmeb http://borasky-research.net

"A mathematician is a device for turning coffee into theorems." -- Paul
Erdos