Re: [opensuse-support] Does NFS allow different encodings to be used on server/client side?
On Fri, 18 Jan 2019 12:48:53 +0100

On 18/01/2019 11.16, Dave Howorth wrote:
On Fri, 18 Jan 2019 10:00:06 +0100
Rainer Hantsch <office@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hello.
While I use iso-8859-1 in my systems, my friend uses utf-8.

Actually, not just your friend but most people in the world.

I would suggest you consider converting your systems to utf-8.

Except on Windows :-)

Eh, 'Microsoft was one of the first companies to implement Unicode'
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unicode_in_Microsoft_Windows

For instance, I use some video recording software designed primarily
for windows. Apparently, the names of the videos are set by the
broadcaster, and while they display correctly in Kodi, they don't on
Linux.

Broadcast character sets are a nightmare, they have their own character
sets defined in the DVB standards not the usual suspects, and then they
sometimes transmit 'broken' strings, where the source of the text might
be some old windows system, transferred by some ignorant old system to
the transmitter and wrongly labelled. Most TV text systems simply
delete any bad characters when preparing them for display so punters
don't see rubbish on screen. Kodi is one such.

Another example: when I edit TomTom POIs using website
<https://tomtom.gps-data-team.com/poi/poi_edit_online.php>, the names
display correctly in FF in Linux, but don't on the TomTom (which is
said to use Linux inside, but...).

Old linux systems used to use iso-8859-*

This is actually no big issue when using rsync (as it can convert
filenames on the fly), but now I wanted to use KODI on my FireTV
stick. KODI appears to use only UTF8 when using its built-in
nfs-client, or it has a bug and ignores the configured character
set.

Anyway, Kodi does not show German Umlauts therefore.

Can I configure the kernel-nfs on my server to do something similar
to rsync by using "--iconv=iso-8859-1,utf-8"? So my server-side
encoding is translated to UTF8 only for this FireTV stick?

You could create a new directory to serve your media to kodi. Only
use a utf-8 environment when creating entries in it. Fill it with
hard links to your existing media files.

Doesn't work when trying to move, copy, delete movies.

You'll have to explain why not.