Re: [opensuse-support] Does NFS allow different encodings to be used on server/client side?
On 18/01/2019 11.16, Dave Howorth wrote:
On Fri, 18 Jan 2019 10:00:06 +0100
Rainer Hantsch <office@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hello.
While I use iso-8859-1 in my systems, my friend uses utf-8.

Actually, not just your friend but most people in the world.

I would suggest you consider converting your systems to utf-8.

Except on Windows :-)

For instance, I use some video recording software designed primarily for
windows. Apparently, the names of the videos are set by the broadcaster,
and while they display correctly in Kodi, they don't on Linux.

Another example: when I edit TomTom POIs using website
<https://tomtom.gps-data-team.com/poi/poi_edit_online.php>, the names
display correctly in FF in Linux, but don't on the TomTom (which is said
to use Linux inside, but...).

This is actually no big issue when using rsync (as it can convert
filenames on the fly), but now I wanted to use KODI on my FireTV
stick. KODI appears to use only UTF8 when using its built-in
nfs-client, or it has a bug and ignores the configured character set.

Anyway, Kodi does not show German Umlauts therefore.

Can I configure the kernel-nfs on my server to do something similar
to rsync by using "--iconv=iso-8859-1,utf-8"? So my server-side
encoding is translated to UTF8 only for this FireTV stick?

You could create a new directory to serve your media to kodi. Only use
a utf-8 environment when creating entries in it. Fill it with hard
links to your existing media files.

Doesn't work when trying to move, copy, delete movies.

(from 15.0 x86_64 at Telcontar)