Re: [opensuse-support] Does NFS allow different encodings to be used on server/client side?
On 18/01/2019 12.11, Rainer Hantsch wrote:
Am Freitag, 18. Jan 2019, 10:36:12 schrieb Carlos E. R.:
On 18/01/2019 10.00, Rainer Hantsch wrote:
Hello.
While I use iso-8859-1 in my systems, my friend uses utf-8.

This is actually no big issue when using rsync (as it can convert
filenames on the fly), but now I wanted to use KODI on my FireTV stick.
KODI appears to use only UTF8 when using its built-in nfs-client, or it
has a bug and ignores the configured character set.

Anyway, Kodi does not show German Umlauts therefore.

Can I configure the kernel-nfs on my server to do something similar to
rsync by using "--iconv=iso-8859-1,utf-8"? So my server-side encoding is
translated to UTF8 only for this FireTV stick?

I had a look into the man pages, but I could not find anything about that.
I also googled and figured out that some nfs servers allow that, others
don't, ...

Would be great if this is possible on openSUSE.

I don't think so. "Converting" the name of a file means altering it on disk.

Then I did wrongly explain, sorry for that.

Server side:
The server is using globally(!) ISO-8859-1 (or iso-8859-15 ?) as encoding.
This means that filenames (not the content) are alsostored in this encoding.
This is fine for me, usually this encoding is more than sufficient for my
needs.

So what I am talking about is:
When I know that one particular device expects UTF8, I want to assign
parameters to his exports entry, so that my nfs server translates the
filenames from 8859-1/15 -> UTF8 before transmitting them. And vice versa.

Samba can do that, so possibly nfs can do that, too?

But samba was designed for Windows, where this happens often. NFS was
designed for Linux, and AFAIK, it expects UTF8 only. I could be
mistaken, though.

However, googling suggests I may be mistaken.

<https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/105223/how-to-mount-an-ntfs-drive-as-utf8-over-nfs>

See answer #4.

however, <https://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Indic-Fonts-HOWTO/locale.html>

«The other filesystems (nfs, smbfs, ncpfs, hpfs, etc.) don't convert
filenames; therefore they support Unicode file names in UTF-8 encoding
only if the other operating system supports them. Please note that to
enable a mount option for all future remounts, you add it to the fourth
column of the corresponding /etc/fstab line.»

<https://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Unicode-HOWTO-3.html> has the same paragraph.

(from 15.0 x86_64 at Telcontar)

< Previous Next >