Re: [opensuse-support] Does NFS allow different encodings to be used on server/client side?
  • From: Rainer Hantsch <office@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2019 12:11:42 +0100
Am Freitag, 18. Jan 2019, 10:36:12 schrieb Carlos E. R.:
On 18/01/2019 10.00, Rainer Hantsch wrote:
Hello.
While I use iso-8859-1 in my systems, my friend uses utf-8.

This is actually no big issue when using rsync (as it can convert
filenames on the fly), but now I wanted to use KODI on my FireTV stick.
KODI appears to use only UTF8 when using its built-in nfs-client, or it
has a bug and ignores the configured character set.

Anyway, Kodi does not show German Umlauts therefore.

Can I configure the kernel-nfs on my server to do something similar to
rsync by using "--iconv=iso-8859-1,utf-8"? So my server-side encoding is
translated to UTF8 only for this FireTV stick?

I had a look into the man pages, but I could not find anything about that.
I also googled and figured out that some nfs servers allow that, others
don't, ...

Would be great if this is possible on openSUSE.

I don't think so. "Converting" the name of a file means altering it on disk.

Then I did wrongly explain, sorry for that.

Server side:
The server is using globally(!) ISO-8859-1 (or iso-8859-15 ?) as encoding.
This means that filenames (not the content) are alsostored in this encoding.
This is fine for me, usually this encoding is more than sufficient for my
needs.

So what I am talking about is:
When I know that one particular device expects UTF8, I want to assign
parameters to his exports entry, so that my nfs server translates the
filenames from 8859-1/15 -> UTF8 before transmitting them. And vice versa.

Samba can do that, so possibly nfs can do that, too?