[opensuse-support] Does NFS allow different encodings to be used on server/client side?
  • From: Rainer Hantsch <office@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2019 10:00:06 +0100
Hello.
While I use iso-8859-1 in my systems, my friend uses utf-8.

This is actually no big issue when using rsync (as it can convert filenames on
the fly), but now I wanted to use KODI on my FireTV stick. KODI appears to use
only UTF8 when using its built-in nfs-client, or it has a bug and ignores the
configured character set.

Anyway, Kodi does not show German Umlauts therefore.

Can I configure the kernel-nfs on my server to do something similar to rsync
by using "--iconv=iso-8859-1,utf-8"? So my server-side encoding is translated
to UTF8 only for this FireTV stick?

I had a look into the man pages, but I could not find anything about that. I
also googled and figured out that some nfs servers allow that, others don't,

Would be great if this is possible on openSUSE.