Re: [opensuse-support] Network watchdog
On 08/01/2019 12.44, Peter Suetterlin wrote:
Carlos E. R. wrote:

Then yes, you need a daemon/cron/whatever.

If you don't find anything, you could adapt my program, but it is in
Pascal: instead of calling the external program to cycle power, call
network restart. The modification is almost trivial.

So ATM I'm running

#!/bin/sh
ping -c 1 -w 1 -q 8.8.8.8 &> /dev/null
if [ $? -ne 0 ]; then
systemctl restart network
fi

in cron.daily. I'll see what happens.

That may work. :-)

Caveats: a single ping failure will restart the network. This may
disrupt existing connections, possibly change the IP.

There are other ping programs (I forget which exactly) that will try
several pings - see below.

If there is a local network, I would ping that first.

You also need to consider what happens if cron triggers another job
while this one is running if the frequency is high enough.

ping variants from my notes:

ping
fwping (saint) ??
ping -f -l10 -s20000 router
bing compute point to point throughput using two sizes of
ICMP ECHO_REQUEST packets to a pair of remote hosts
fping - A program to ping multiple hosts
hping - Command-line oriented TCP/IP packet assembler/analyzer
nping - Compare Results of Nmap Scans
oping - Multiple Host Ping that supports ICMPv4 and ICMPv6

I think there are more.

(from 15.0 x86_64 at Telcontar)

< Previous Next >