Re: [opensuse-support] pam.so listed by `zypper ps` ???
  • From: Michael Fischer <michael@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 27 Dec 2018 21:19:15 -0500
On Thu, Dec 27, Patrick Shanahan wrote:
* Carlos E. R. <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> [12-27-18 18:55]:
On 27/12/2018 23.52, Michael Fischer wrote:

Inspired by a post here (somewhere), out of curiosity I ran
`sudo zypper ps` and was surprised to find that it had *any* output,
but even more surprised to see an awful lot of important-looking
libraries listed.

How the heck could this state have been acheived, and how scared should
I be to reboot, etc.?

After updating packages using rpm, zypper, or yast, files that were in
use can't be actually deleted and remain in use. Thus you have to
restart the affected applications or services - but some of them can not
be easily restarted, so instead it is easier to reboot.

If you don't, well, the security update that you did is not in fact
applied and you are still running the vulnerable versions.

On some cases, you may have in memory inconsistent libraries (one
updated, one old),

Patrick, Carlos,

Thanks for the tips. I figured a reboot and login would cover the whole list.
However, it is unclear to me how the ONLY versioned libpam.so I seem to have
on my system is one I can do without. Surely there must be _some_ version
as the target of the usual symlink(s)???

$ locate libpam
/etc/apparmor.d/abstractions/libpam-systemd
/lib/libpam.so.0
/lib/libpam.so.0.84.2
/lib/libpam_misc.so.0
/lib/libpam_misc.so.0.82.1
/lib/libpamc.so.0
/lib/libpamc.so.0.82.1
/lib64/libpam.so.0
/lib64/libpam.so.0.84.2
/lib64/libpam_misc.so.0
/lib64/libpam_misc.so.0.82.1
/lib64/libpamc.so.0
/lib64/libpamc.so.0.82.1
/usr/lib64/libpam.so
/usr/lib64/libpam_misc.so
/usr/lib64/libpamc.so

$ l /usr/lib64/libpam.so
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 23 Dec 3 10:16 /usr/lib64/libpam.so ->
/lib64/libpam.so.0.84.2

$ l /lib64/libpam.so.0
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 16 Dec 3 10:15 /lib64/libpam.so.0 -> libpam.so.0.84.2

So.. if that file is only showing up for `ls` because some processes still have
it open, and I shut down those processes... doesn't this suggest that e.g.
systemd and login will get very unhappy because there is NO 64-bit libpam.so
on the system? (or at least the symlink targets are gone)

What part of this have I got horribly wrong? The above understanding of the
situation, or that I managed to do some zypper command which removed some
much needed libraries?

Thanks

Michael
--