Re: [opensuse-support] "bad" locale -> bad/no box characters
On 26/12/2018 17.22, Andrei Borzenkov wrote:
26.12.2018 3:07, Felix Miata пишет:

Locale in shell session is irrelevant. What is relevant, is locale in
which konsole was started and which determines how input is interpreted.
Unforutnately I do not know any good way to find it out. You may try
something like

tr '\0' '\n' < /proc/${PID_OF_KONSOLE}/environ

but I won't be surprised if KDE takes this information from somewhere
else. When I was using KDE I could not find any way to launch specific
KDE application in specific locale without changing global use settings.

I think KDE ignores the locale; instead it creates one from the KDE own
configuration.

But that konsole is running "su" or "su -", so the locale can be
altered, while the actual charset it uses to display is not.