Re: [opensuse-support] "bad" locale -> bad/no box characters
On 26/12/2018 04.20, Felix Miata wrote:

Felix Miata wrote:

These are from 42.3 installations. On both, /etc/sysconfig/language is
identical,
and 'DroidSansMono.ttf: "Droid Sans Mono" "Regular"' results from 'fc-match
monospace'.
These show good vs. bad box drawing characters in Konsole3:
Good: http://fm.no-ip.com/SS/Suse/lc423goodP5BSE.jpg
Bad http://fm.no-ip.com/SS/Suse/lc423bad00srv.jpg

Locale on the good host, all POSIX except CTYPE and ALL, same in Konsole3
as in XTerm:
# locale
LANG=POSIX
LC_CTYPE=en_US.UTF-8
LC_NUMERIC="POSIX"
LC_TIME="POSIX"
LC_COLLATE="POSIX"
LC_MONETARY="POSIX"
LC_MESSAGES="POSIX"
LC_PAPER="POSIX"
LC_NAME="POSIX"
LC_ADDRESS="POSIX"
LC_TELEPHONE="POSIX"
LC_MEASUREMENT="POSIX"
LC_IDENTIFICATION="POSIX"
LC_ALL=

This is typical of running locale as root. You have to do it as the user
that has the session.

I guess I didn't remember to write as much as I needed to. I know root and
users are normally
different, but not /why/ they are by default configured differently. Here,
except for LC_ALL, all
are [en_US|en_US.UTF-8] (by default) for ordinary users (which usually have
'export LC_TIME=en_DK'
in .bashrc).

I recogn I did not look at the photos, just at your pasted text. And on
the second locale posting you ommitted the command prompt, which
confused me into thinking that it was done as user. Please, always post
the prompt and the command, it gives necessary information.

Now that I look at the photos, the answer is slightly different. Machine
00srv does not use posix in the locale configuration.

/etc/sysconfig/language

## Type: string(ctype)
## Default: ctype
#
# This defines if the user "root" should use the locale settings
# which are defined here.
# Value "ctype" means that root uses just LC_CTYPE.
#
ROOT_USES_LANG="ctype"

I never change this.

(What, if anything as a practical matter, makes en_US and en_US.UTF-8 differ
I don't know either,
but I'd really rather not see displayed CJK and other alphabets' characters I
don't read.)

Non UTF-8 charset, go back more than a decade.