Re: [opensuse-support] "bad" locale -> bad/no box characters

Felix Miata wrote:

These are from 42.3 installations. On both, /etc/sysconfig/language is
identical,
and 'DroidSansMono.ttf: "Droid Sans Mono" "Regular"' results from 'fc-match
monospace'.
These show good vs. bad box drawing characters in Konsole3:
Good: http://fm.no-ip.com/SS/Suse/lc423goodP5BSE.jpg
Bad http://fm.no-ip.com/SS/Suse/lc423bad00srv.jpg

Locale on the good host, all POSIX except CTYPE and ALL, same in Konsole3 as
in XTerm:
# locale
LANG=POSIX
LC_CTYPE=en_US.UTF-8
LC_NUMERIC="POSIX"
LC_TIME="POSIX"
LC_COLLATE="POSIX"
LC_MONETARY="POSIX"
LC_MESSAGES="POSIX"
LC_PAPER="POSIX"
LC_NAME="POSIX"
LC_ADDRESS="POSIX"
LC_TELEPHONE="POSIX"
LC_MEASUREMENT="POSIX"
LC_IDENTIFICATION="POSIX"
LC_ALL=

This is typical of running locale as root. You have to do it as the user
that has the session.

I guess I didn't remember to write as much as I needed to. I know root and
users are normally
different, but not /why/ they are by default configured differently. Here,
except for LC_ALL, all
are [en_US|en_US.UTF-8] (by default) for ordinary users (which usually have
'export LC_TIME=en_DK'
in .bashrc).

(What, if anything as a practical matter, makes en_US and en_US.UTF-8 differ I
don't know either,
but I'd really rather not see displayed CJK and other alphabets' characters I
don't read.)

Felix Miata *** http://fm.no-ip.com/