[opensuse-support] fwupd problems on DELL XPS 13
Hi *,

I got a new DELL XPS 13 9370 up and running with openSUE Tumbleweed.
Because of problems with the Atheros wifi device I want to update the
BIOS.

Running "fwupdmgr get-devices" gives
"/usr/lib/fwupd/efi/fwupdx64.efi.signed cannot be found", though.

The same messages occurs when restarting the fwupd daemon.

Running the update with "fwupdmgr refresh" and "fwupdmgr update" gives:

No upgrades for XPS 13 9370 Thunderbolt Controller, current is 33.00:
33.00=same, 28.00=older
ignoring XPS 13 9370 System Firmware
[8a21cacfb0a8d2b30c5ee9290eb71db021619f8b] as not updatable

So the update of the Thunderbolt controller had succeeded in a previous
run, but the firmware update itself does not run.

I read a lot of things on the internet, but couldn't find a solution.
One thing I read was to sign fwupdx64.efi with sbsign. This utility can
be found in the sbsigntools package with was not included in one of the
standard Tumbleweed repos. So I installed it from an openSUSE developer
repo. Unfortunately I don't know what cert and key files to use for
signing.

So the questions are:

1. How to do a BIOS upgrade with fwupd in Tumbleweed the correct way?
2. If signing fwupdx64.efi is the correct way, what cert and key file to
use?

TIA.

Bye.
Michael.