Re: [opensuse-support] STDOUT of programs started from DE menu in syslog
On 04/12/2018 08.57, Ianseeks wrote:
On Monday, 3 December 2018 12:10:04 GMT Carlos E. R. wrote:
On 03/12/2018 13.06, Ianseeks wrote:
On Monday, 3 December 2018 09:54:10 GMT Carlos E. R. wrote:
On 03/12/2018 10.30, Ianseeks wrote:
snip

I assume that this is a "systemd" feature (or misfeature).

There was chat a while back about systemd deprecating the journal
forwarding to syslog config item as syslog was going to control the
import of journal entries into syslog system itself. Not sure if this
happened or not.

I don't understand this. Meaning that syslog daemons would no longer
work? :-/

I honestly don't know, it was a few years ago. I remember LP talking about
it in an article but i can't find the reference now. I was happy with the
journal so i didn't follow it up at the time.

Well, if that was years ago, nothing of consequence happened, syslog
daemons continue working very well.

I found this page and it looks like syslog-ng can do the reading of journal
instead of syslog.

https://news.opensuse.org/2018/04/30/syslog-ng-vs-systemds-journald/

And rsyslog does even better, as it does not need to read the journal
files to get the data.

When I say "syslog" I refer to all the variants.

List Navigation