Re: [opensuse-support] STDOUT of programs started from DE menu in syslog
  • From: Peter Suetterlin <pit@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 2 Dec 2018 14:47:56 +0000
Carlos E. R. wrote:
On 02/12/2018 12.23, Peter Suetterlin wrote:

Hi list,

I just noticed/realized that if I start an application via the DE menu,
anything that this application prints to stdout is sent to
systemd/journal/syslog. (in my case, it's kstars).

If I start the application from a terminal, I get the output there, and
nothing in syslog.

Is there an easy way to change that behavior? I see (man systemd.exec) that
in case of services you can prevent that using the StandardOutput= option.
But how to do this for .desktop applications? Who is initiating that
redirect
on first place? Is it the DE, the window manager, or something else?

What desktopand what openSUSE release are you using?

Yuck. My bad, sorry.

This is KDE Plasma on Tumbleweed.
But I think it's a more general issue - another report came from some *buntu

Can you say some other program that shows that behaviour? I don't have
kstars installed.

Unfortunately, no. Just checked, but the only similar entries I see are for
org.kde.powerdevil - but that is rather started by (user)systemd, is it?
Nothing else here.

I supposed it happens for any program that outputs stuff to STDOUT when not
connected to a tty, but that seems not true - just wrote a shell script that
outputs something, and a desktop file for starting it, but that one doesn't
show up either.

So it seems specific to kstars, although the developer said he's not seeing
it, or doing unusual things....
Will continue discussing with him :o