Re: [opensuse-support] STDOUT of programs started from DE menu in syslog
On 02/12/2018 12.23, Peter Suetterlin wrote:

Hi list,

I just noticed/realized that if I start an application via the DE menu,
anything that this application prints to stdout is sent to
systemd/journal/syslog. (in my case, it's kstars).

If I start the application from a terminal, I get the output there, and
nothing in syslog.

Is there an easy way to change that behavior? I see (man systemd.exec) that
in case of services you can prevent that using the StandardOutput= option.
But how to do this for .desktop applications? Who is initiating that redirect
on first place? Is it the DE, the window manager, or something else?

What desktopand what openSUSE release are you using?

Can you say some other program that shows that behaviour? I don't have
kstars installed.

List Navigation