Re: [opensuse-support] updatedb now fails for regular user with local db
  • From: Ralph <suselist@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2018 03:46:24 -0600
On Sun, 25 Nov 2018 19:00:23 -0600
hadron <strange.charmed.antiquark@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On 2018-11-25 06:48 PM, Ralph wrote:
[os Leap 15, xfce]

I have a private mlocate database in my /home. Since a few days ago
attempting to update the db now fails for a command such as:

"updatedb -l 0 -o /home/rsil/Downloads/rsildb -U /home/rsil"

Message is: "updatedb: can not open a temporary file for
`/home/rsil/Downloads/rsildb"

There was an update to mlocate on 17 Nov, perhaps the culprit, or
not. Whatever. How do I get back the ability to update my own
database?

You can revert to the previous version in Yast/Software Management.
Also you might want to mark it as "protected" (right click, select
"Protected - Do Not Modify" in the popup) until the next update comes
along.

Unfortunately does not work. Reverting to the other available version,
from the original distro, also now fails. "Something" changed the
permissions for something somewhere, and that's not reverted by
reinstalling an old version.

I could do a btrfs rollback to pre-Nov 17 but that seems a bit drastic
for this particular problem, there have been a bunch of updates since
that date that would also rollback.

Ralph