Re: [opensuse-support] nVidia support
  • From: Knurpht-openSUSE <knurpht@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2018 16:43:26 +0100
Op woensdag 21 november 2018 15:55:10 CET schreef Liam Proven:
I am trying to install the proprietary drivers for an nVidia Quadro K620.

Is there anything I should know or do?

I have tried by this method:

https://en.opensuse.org/SDB:NVIDIA_drivers

I have 2 installations on the machine, side by side. Tumbleweed and Leap
15. Both are new, clean installations.

With both, I get the same symptoms. After installation, when I reboot, I
get a 1024*768 desktop on the primary monitor only. I cannot run
``nvidia-settings'' because it says there's no xorg.conf file and I am
to run ``nvidia-xconfig'' as root to create one.

I do this and reboot.

Result, blank screens, flashing text cursor, nothing else.

Both distros behave identically. Both were fully updated prior to trying
this.

If I use Alt-F1 to switch to vconsole 0, I can log in, remove the nvidia
packages, rename /etc/X11/xorg.conf to *.old or whatever, reboot, and
nouveau works again, on both monitors.
Yeaaaars ago I reported a bug at NVIDIA re. nvidia-settings and xorg.conf (
which has been deprecated and replaced by xorg.conf.d ), others did too, bugs
were all denied. That would not have been an issue if nvidia-settings would
generate a proper xorg.conf which it hardly ever does. And, not only on
openSUSE, I've seen reports for many other distros. Same for the nvidia-
xconfig utility

--
Gertjan Lettink a.k.a. Knurpht
openSUSE Board Member