Re: [opensuse-support] SOLVED: lost hplip printing
* Carlos E. R. <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> [10-15-18 20:02]:
On 16/10/2018 00.24, Patrick Shanahan wrote:
* Carlos E. R. <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> [10-15-18 18:05]:
[...]
I assume a cheap router, like mine. Well, they are crap... mine hangs
now and then, has to be power cycled. A pain for remote access, I have a
power strip that can power cycle the router controlled from another
machine.

Why it affected Linux hosts and not Windows hosts is a mystery. Maybe
because they only tested with Windows hosts.

Sometimes my phone says no wifi, or that the wifi has no internet. The
other day Windows said that. Reboot the WiFi access point, and back to
normal. Go figure.

now setup completes and printing is working.

tks,

Welcome :-)

biggest provider of internet access in the USA, at&t. service is crap,
been there about 18 months and on sixth router, 4 in 10 days. everyone
one had different problem and all supposedly new. none would allow moving
the router's passthru ssh port. two would not pass http(s).

Maybe you can place your own router. :-?
I can't, the setup is difficult to replicate and not documented.

current one apparently just fails when it feels like it.

Well, if rebooting the issue, and there are not other issues... count
your blessings.

Maybe if many people complain they'll issue some other model.

fwiw, roadrunner equipment caused me the fewest problems in the past 20
years and was the most configurable. also the most costly :(.

An administrator I met (business admin, not computer admin) told me,
when I was young, that cheap turns out to be expensive.

unfortunately, this turn out to be what one really needs vs what one is
willing to pay. the salve provided by the difference is cost soothes much
of the pain coming from lack of quality control.

but that salve does not cease one from advertising the discomfort caused
by at&t's lack of quality.

even navigating their menu system is a pain in the ass. almost as bad as
their chat system with people looking up the discription of your problem
on their cheat-sheets and giving you answers about mowing your lawn or
trimming the shrubs. no idea about technical matters and don't have any
idea who or where to elevate your conversation.