Re: [opensuse-support] samba password fail after upgrade
On 9/3/18 9:33 AM, Simon Becherer wrote:

Thank you for your reply.

So, I upgraded to tumbleweed and now my samba password fails every time even
after I remove me as user, add me back with new password or even with no
password.

what do you mean:
samba_user or opensuse_user?
samba_user

you should do as root:
smbpasswd -a [user]
then enter password.
its a good idea if this user (before doing this)
also exists as opensuse user. (use same password will maybe avoid problems)

These are long time established users
this has been working for years.

i am not familar with your windows versions, for really old windows eg: 98/xp
The windows are up to date windows-10 and windows-server-2016

to connect to samba, you have to set some special (unsave) options
inside the smb.conf:
security = user

lanman auth = Yes
client lanman auth = Yes
client plaintext auth = Yes
(every time you play with this three options this will kill your samba password
- so maybe this has happend when updating????)

and for samba 4.8 and newer (to konnect to windows xp):
ntlm auth = Yes

but as mentioned, these are settings for connecting down to windows 98
and therefore its really unsave - do this only behind a big firewall -
- and i do not think that this is your problem,
except you have told your windows machines using such old settings.

simoN

Thank you
tom