Re: [opensuse-support] Font fun
Wolfgang Rosenauer composed on 2018-06-04 09:04 (UTC+0200):

Felix Miata composed:

Simply move to or insert your favorite of each type at the top of each of the
three alias lists (serif, sans-serif, monospace). I never did decide if any
particular number was best to use. In 42.3 it's 57, but I've used 55, 56, 58
&
59 as well over the years. The installed fonts nearest the tops of these
lists
are what desktop settings and web browsers will use any time generics are
specified, thus what I get in desktop and e.g. Mozilla app UI.

My main point is: I don't want to run through hundreds of fonts to get
something usable on nowadays systems but I would hope that the openSUSE
defaults are not hurting my eyes. While everyone might have a slightly
different taste there is a big gap between taste and readability.

One only needs select as little as once. I did it 10, 12, maybe 15 years ago,
saved them in 57-post-user.conf, and pretty much forget about them in app UI,
suffering only the often inanely poor quality choices imposed by web site
artists.

Font quality problems are almost entirely the result of low display density.
Once display density is high enough, fonts are entirely a matter of taste; the
quality differs immaterially from text in books and magazines. And it doesn't
take that much increase to get good quality. Even 120 DPI is a huge effective
increase over the ancient 96 reference. Quality increases as a function of
squares, so 96 DPI -> 120 DPI (+25% nominal) equates to a 56.25% real increase;
to 144 DPI, +125%. We had 768 vertical resolution 3 decades ago (1024x768 IBM
XGA). That kind of "quality" in new hardware (e.g. 1366x768 on 15" laptop)
should have been extinct over a decade ago. Unfortunately, it's still not.

Felix Miata *** http://fm.no-ip.com/