Re: [opensuse-support] expected behavior, or not? (was: Mailinglist changes going forward)
  • From: "Knurpht @ openSUSE" <knurpht@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 31 May 2018 20:20:13 +0200
Op maandag 28 mei 2018 22:31:44 CEST schreef Felix Miata:
Simon Lees composed on 2018-05-28 21:21 (UTC+0930):
This brings us to the next issue, posting bugs / bug reports on mailing
lists rather then bugzilla. This is a practice we would like to see
stopped and we will be gently reminding people if they continue posting
bugs on mailinglists, this especially includes if a package /
application breaks when updating tumbleweed / leap (including beta's).
We would ask that you search for your issue prior to reporting but in
case you accidentally report a duplicate bug its easy for us to mark it
as such, also if you report something that is intentional and not a bug
it doesn't take long to mark it as such, so if in doubt file a bug
rather then posting to a mailing list, there is useful information for
filing bugs at the following links [1][2]. But if you are really stuck
with trying to file your bug the friendly people at opensuse-support@o.o
can support you through the process.

I don't get stuck "filing" bugs. I get stuck figuring out whether something
is expected behavior, or constitutes a bug.

Who's going to do all that extra triage work if every time someone has that
dilemma and proceeds to file a bug instead of asking first? Mailing lists
seem to generate responses, useful or otherwise, faster. Bugs apparently
get seen by a select few, and are often ignored for long periods.

Just what constitutes "filing a bug" on a mailing list?

1. https://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Bug_reporting_FAQ
2. https://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Submitting_bug_reports

I don't think these clarify, but at least indirectly may be inducing list
"filing". From the latter:

"Non-technical users: You may try first http://forums.opensuse.org ."
Felix, let's keep this for support only, not for all kinds of discussions,
definitely not for discussing this list's existence. These already exist on
opensuse@, opensuse-project@.

--
Gertjan Lettink a.k.a. Knurpht
openSUSE Board Member